Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Dubbing with Dubya

A few things are vaguely disturbing to me about the news that President Bush has been jamming to his iPod as he works out in the White House gym.

The guy can listen to what he wants, when he wants to, but I am having trouble reconciling the following:

Imagining the Chief Executive -- as the world reacts to the Pope's death, as another Westerner is kidnapped in Iraq, as the President's own choice for U.N. Envoy is being grilled by a Senate panel -- pulling up iTunes on his Oval Office computer and deciding whether he wants to add "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" to his workout mix. ("And, heck, should I just download the whole album...?")

Second, picturing President Bush getting frustrated with the selection on iTunes ("How could they not have any @%$#! Ultravox CDs?!") and getting one of his aides (Scott McLellan? Andrew Card? Karl Rove?) to monkey with the White House firewall so he can run Gnutella.

Third, envisioning the President sending a White House intern down to the Library of Congress to borrow CDs for him to rip, so he can fill those long Air Force One flights with the original Waylon Jennings recording of the theme from the Dukes of Hazzard. True, it may be a better use for a White House intern than some other presidents have thought of, but but it's still unsettling.

And finally, what really wigs me out is the fact that the President's iPod has at least two songs in common with my iPod. Even more frightening is that one of them is "My Sharona" by The Knack. (I mean, hey, I could imagine him listening to "Good Girls Don't", but "My Sharona" is tough to fathom....)

Tune in tomorrow, as I reveal the identity of the other song our iPods have in common, and as President Bush assigns a blue chip panel to investigate the true identity of "Jenny" from Tommy Tutone's "867-5309".

1 comment:

Carol Davidson said...

I haven't been able to visit in a while! Comcast keeps ___'ing me over, along with every other subscriber in the country.

But enough about me...

I'm glad you wrote this post. I, too, was bothered by knowing the play list on Bush's iPod. I wanted to believe he listened to NPR all the time. Another fantasy... dashed.