Saturday, February 19, 2005

A movie I'll little note nor long remember

Let me start by saying that I am probably the only person with kids (okay, kid) who neither hangs on every word of Harry Potter books nor objects to them on religious grounds. I tried reading the first Harry Potter book, but I lost interest after the first 8,000 pages, and went back to the Baseball Encyclopedia. On the other hand, I also truly detested "A Fish Called Wanda", and I've never read "Hamlet", so my credentials as a Renaissance Guy were long ago thrown into question.

Nevertheless, I'm watching "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban", or at least doing as much watching as I can while working on the computer. We're up to the part (watch out, I might ruin the ending) where Harry Potter and his schoolmates are, um, taking classes, I suppose at Hogwarts.

The movie is fine -- but it once again has me thinking about why moviegoers seem to have a fascination with English prep schools. I mean, even when the movies are taking place in the US, the schools seem to look decidedly like English prep schools. I'll grant you, Hollywood has also perfected the Troubled Urban School genre, but the number of prep school stories still finding their way into the movies is staggering.

Why are moviegoers fascinated with the sight of school kids wearing blue blazers with crests on them? Why wouldn't they prefer to see a good old fashioned American junior high school, replete with kids failing algebra, principals with white belts and shoes, and hall monitors snaring would-be bathroom smokers?

Geez, I don't know. Maybe I should get out more often.

No comments: